Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Let there be light

My friend Kristen told a story about an experience she had in Peru last summer. One night she was lying in a hammock in the gazebo (I say “the gazebo” because many of us know the one)…and kinda dozed off in thought. When she came back to reality, she jumped, realizing the sun was gone and that she was swinging in complete darkness. As she recounted this story, she made a good point, “If you’ve never been in the jungle at night when there are no stars, I promise you it’s a new shade of black.” So, she finally climbed out of the hammock, grasped on to the railing of the gazebo, and prayed she would get back to her bunk safely.

That’s about the time a little dim light beamed across the gazebo. Kristen looked up (deer in headlights, I’m sure) and saw our friend Allison, leaning over the railing. “I thought you might be stranded out here. Want some help getting back?” Kristen couldn’t have been more shocked…or relieved.

“A dinky flashlight keychain had illuminated the entire gazebo, silenced my fears, and lit the walkway back to safety. Who knew that one light was capable of making such a difference in overwhelming darkness?” she said.

So maybe this is an über obvious illustration…but I like the story. And I love the picture of light in darkness that is weaved throughout Scripture…

2 Samuel 22:29
You are my light, O LORD; the LORD turns my darkness into light.

Isaiah 5:20
Woe to those who call evil good and good evil, who put darkness for light and light for darkness, who put bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter.

Isaiah 9:2
The people walking in darkness have seen a great light; on those living in the land of the shadow of death a light has dawned.

Daniel 2:22
He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in darkness, and light dwells with him.

Micah 7:8-9 (my favorite)
Do not gloat over me, my enemy! Though I have fallen, I will rise. Though I sit in darkness, the LORD will be my light. Because I have sinned against him, I will bear the LORD’s wrath, until he pleads my case and establishes my right. He will bring me out into the light; I will see his righteousness.

Luke 11:34
Your eye is the lamp of your body. When your eyes are good, your whole body also is full of light. But when they are bad, your body also is full of darkness.

John 3:19
This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but men loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil.

John 12:46
I have come into the world as a light, so that no one who believes in me should stay in darkness.

Romans 13:12
The night is nearly over; the day is almost here. So let us put aside the deeds of darkness and put on the armor of light.

Ephesians 5:8-14 (love this passage)
For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light (for the fruit of light consists of all goodness, righteousness, and truth) and find out what pleases the Lord. Have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but rather expose them. For it is shameful even to mention what the disobedient do in secret. But everything exposed by the light becomes visible, for it is light that makes everything visible. This is why it is said: “Wake up, O sleeper, rise from the dead, and Christ will shine on you.

1 Peter 2:9
But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light.

1 John 2:9
Anyone who claims to be in the light but hates his brother is still in the darkness.



God is light. He is the creator of the great lights—the sun to govern the day, the moon and stars to govern the night. He is the giver of light. His light shines forever. The heaviest downpours can’t extinguish his flame. The most raging storms can’t cut off his power. He is the eternal source of light.

He says to his people, “Follow me,” and “Be the light of the world.”

Who me?

Yes, you.

How?

Talk to me. And listen to my voice.

God, I feel darkness closing in around me. Hurting people surround me, those who are sitting in darkness. I know a little goes a long way, but I don’t even know how to shine a dinky keychain light in my realm of influence. I’m tired.

I know. You need mercy and help in your time of need. Come to me. Turn from evils, and turn to mercies that are new every morning. Flee what is wrong. Seek help. Everyone who seeks finds. Fight with yourself. Don’t justify things that I clearly name as evil. Don’t despair when you find evils within yourself. I love you. Come to me, and I will begin to teach you how to love.

Yes, LORD, walking in the way of your laws, we wait for you; your name and your renown are the desire of our hearts (Isaiah 26:8).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for reminding me of the power of one small light.
Love you forever,
Mom

Unknown said...

beautiful. i loved that. thank you for sharing and for your beautiful heart and incredible example. your relationship with the father is beautiful and evident in every word you speak and in everything you do. i love you so much a. andi

Ann Claire Vaughn said...

I meant to comment earlier about that last photo...I found out about this jewel from Louie Giglio's Indescribable talk. Anyway, you astronomers can google this for more info, but basically, that photo is of the nucleus of the Whirlpool Galaxy, which is an "interactive, grand-design, spiral galaxy." It's located 37 million light years from the earth and is more than 100 thousand light years across. It's estimated that there are more than 160 billion stars in this galaxy. Pretty awesome.

"Lift up your eyes on high, and see who has created these things, who brings out their host by number; He calls them all by name, by the greatness of His might and the strength of His power, not one is missing." Isaiah 40:26

"The heavens proclaim His righteousness; all the peoples see His glory." Psalm 97:6